A day in Looe

On 12th May members of the Cornwall Association of Local Historians gathered on Liskeard station to catch the train down to Looe for a day by the sea.  Mark Camp and Carole Vivian were there to tell them some of the history both of the railway, the canal that runs beside it, and the town at the end of the line.  

 

Once at Looe, Mark spoke about the development of the quayside in the 19th century, before leading the group through the maze of side streets that are so often missed by visitors to the town.  A pasty lunch was eaten in the first floor chamber of the Guildhall before we re-grouped at the Life Boat Station for a most informative tour conducted by Ian and Carol Foster.  From there we went to the town Museum, before walking back to the station for the trip back to Liskeard.  

 

The next outing of CALH will be in July, when we will visit St Just in Penwith.

CALH 01 Liskeard to Looe railway opened 1901.JPG
CALH 07 House dated 1456.JPG
CALH 02 On the train from Liskeard to Looe.JPG
CALH 03 At Looe Station.JPG
CALH 04 Walking to Looe.JPG
CALH 05 Looe Bridge.JPG
CALH 06 Looe guide Mark Camp.JPG
CALH 08 Looe Guidhall first floor window.JPG
CALH 09 Ian Foster at RNLI Looe Boat Station.JPG